Monday, August 3, 2009

Day 10 - $609.54 – High School Reunion.

It figures, doesn’t it?

The biggest city in Canada is the one that I have to spend the least amount of time in. Shoot.

It was one of those crazy timing coincidences that saw me coming into Toronto later than I would have liked, and having to leave the next day earlier than I had planned. It didn’t give me a lot of time to look around the city, but I take solace in the fact that Toronto is SO FREAKING BIG that I wouldn’t have been able to really investigate it even if I had a few days.

When I arrived in Toronto, I got on the subway and hightailed it to Jon’s (an old friend from high school) house. He and his girlfriend Sarah have a place in the Annex neighbourhood, which is full of old houses and also where Adrienne Clarkson lives (so swears Jon.)

Jon immediately thrust a bicycle in my face and off we rode, as Jon took me on the extremely-condensed-bicycle-tour-of-Toronto. We rode from his house down to Kensington Market and through Chinatown, where Jon says he buys five t-shirts a time for $10, but you can only wear them once each before they fall apart.

After winding our way through the busy streets of Chinatown, we found ourselves on Bloor and met Sarah for some lovely (and relatively inexpensive) sushi, to which Jon and Sarah treated me (thanks guys!) I got to catch up with Jon and find out all about being a law student at the University of Toronto, which both Sarah and Jon are. It sounds like a lot of work. I think I’ll stick with travel writing.

The next morning Jon and I went out to a cool café on Bloor called Future, which had $5 breakfasts before 11am. Five bucks for eggs Benedict! Really people, you’re just giving it away then. After breakfast we wandered downtown a little. Jon showed me around the U of T campus, and then we walked down Queen St. West. I stopped by Much Music and pretended to interview the latest teen sensation before Jon pulled me away. We had a chance to see a few landmarks (CN Tower, anyone?) but then I had to get back to the bus station.

All in all, my time in Toronto was great, but too short. That’s a city that you really need more time to explore. Next time I hit T-Dot, I’ll stay for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment